10/26/2012

Wohoo I'm going to Alaska :-D

I totally forgot to tell you about Alaska!!! Some of you already know that after my semester abroad I have to do a 5 month internship somewhere in the tourism industry. I have been trying for a while already to find an internship in the US on my own and almost got one in Miami but it didn't work out with my visa. 
The company wanted me to stay until September but my visa already expires at the beginning of August. I am still allowed to stay in the US until September but I am not allowed to work the last 30 days so unfortunately it didn't work out.
My school in Holland has a so called "Placement Office" which partners up with companies all over the world and helps us to find an internship through then. There were only two offers in the US: an unpaid internship in Miami and a paid internship in Alaska. At first I wasn't sure which one to put as my first choice but living in Miami without any kind of compensation would have been really expensive plus I'd rather go there for a nice vacation instead of work :-D

So a few weeks ago I sent out my application for Alaska and was really happy when I heard that they wanted to interview me via Skype. The interview went really well and was to all my surprise in German. The two ladies I talked to are both from Germany. D. went to Alaska about 12 years ago for her internship and liked it so much that she stayed right away. U. also did her internship there but went back to Germany first to finish her studies and comes back every now and then to work there.

Well, long story short: I GOT THE INTERNSHIP :-))) which means that I am going to stay in the US for another 5 - 6 months after my exchange is over at the end of February :))
Anchorage, AK

Northern Lights


No comments:

Post a Comment